Pre Move In
New Home Warranty
New Home Warranty
Understanding your warranty
Minto stands behind our homes and communities that we build. We are here for you long after you receive your keys. Once you have moved in, the primary point of contact becomes a member of our Warranty Team. We encourage you to familiarize yourself with your new home warranty.
Minto Warranty Team
The Warranty Team is Minto’s in-house, specially created warranty program and your primary contact after you receive the keys to your new home. Our Warranty Team are experts in the standards set by Tarion, the company charged with administering the New Home Warranty Act, and governing home builders such as Minto for the province of Ontario.
Please feel free to reach out to the Warranty Coordinator assigned to your community during weekday office hours to schedule any necessary appointments or answer any questions on the proper channels to record, and initiate any requests for service.
Learn More About
Tarion and your new home warranty
As a homeowner, you have an opportunity to fill out a 30-Day, 1-Year and 2-Year Warranty Form (if necessary) for any items of concern that are covered under your new home warranty.
You can always reference www.tarion.com or contact Tarion directly for more details about your warranty.
1 - Year Warranty
- Requires a home is constructed in a workman-like manner and free from defects in material
- Protects against unauthorized substitutions
- Requires the home to be fit for habitation
- Protects against Ontario Building Code violations
- Applies for one year, beginning on the home’s date of possession
2 - Year Warranty
- Protects against water penetration through basement or foundation walls
- Protects against defects in materials that affect windows, doors and caulking, and defects in work that results in water penetration into the building envelope
- Covers defects in work or materials in the electrical, plumbing and heating delivery and distribution systems
- Covers defects in work or materials that result in the detachment, displacement or deterioration of exterior cladding (such as brickwork, aluminum or vinyl siding)
- Protects against violations of the Ontario Building Code that affect health and safety
- Applies for two years, beginning on the home’s date of possession
7- Year Warranty
Your home’s 7-Year Warranty covers major structural defects (referred to as MSD). It begins on the date you take possession of the home and ends on the day before the seventh anniversary of that date. A major structural defect is defined as any defect in work or materials in respect of a building, including a crack, distortion or displacement of a structural load‑bearing element of the building, if it:
- Results in failure of a structural load-bearing element of the building
- Materially and adversely affects the ability of a structural load-bearing element of the building to carry, bear and resist applicable structural loads for the usual and ordinary service life of the element
- Materially and adversely affects the use of a significant portion of the building for usual and ordinary purposes of a residential dwelling and having regard to any specific use provisions set out in the purchase agreement for the home
In addition to the general exclusions, the 7-Year MSD Warranty specifically excludes: dampness not arising from failure of a load-bearing portion of the building; damage to drains or services; and damage to finishes.
Your warranty responsibilities
Once you receive the keys to your new home, you have the opportunity to register with Tarion’s homeowner portal, MyHome, by visiting www.tarion.com. In addition to making your submissions to Tarion, please also remember to let the Warranty Team know so we can review and start scheduling service work days as soon as possible, and at a day or time that is as convenient to you as possible.
You have 3 opportunities to submit forms to the Warranty Team noting any items to be addressed as part of your warranty lifecycle:
- Prior to your 30-day anniversary
- Prior to your 1-year anniversary
- Prior to your 2-year anniversary
MyHome will remind you of these deadlines. With the complexity of modern buildings, it is expected that you will have some matters to attend to, often cosmetic ones.
- Once we receive notice of any items of concerns, we will call to schedule an appointment for a service work day
- We will require access to your home to complete any necessary repairs
- We ask homeowners or friends/family to be present to sign off on the work and more significantly, to ensure you are happy with it before we consider the matter closed
Warranty Work Day and Repairs Q&A
Is it normal to require repairs in my new home?
A new home is a complex, handmade, personalized piece of workmanship, involving dozens of skilled tradespeople and materials from hundreds of sources. Please expect to find a few things in your home that require us to address and know that Minto will make right any warrantable items. We work closely with you, especially in the first year of owning your new home. We typically schedule at least two work days after you submit each warranty form to ensure you receive the best service, sufficient time, and are satisfied with the work done.
How long are repairs going to take to be completed?
Scheduling and ordering the material to address repairs does take time and it is typical for homeowners to be waiting several weeks after reporting a deficiency before a repair can be scheduled. The average material takes 6-12 weeks to arrive to our site. That is why we had you into our Design Centre more than 8 months before you moved in. We do prioritize any work that has been noted as part of your PDO or 30-Day Warranty Form, and always work as quickly as possible to order and schedule any service request for our homeowners who have moved in. We thank you for your patience.
Need to place a service request?
We recognize that between your 30-Day and 1-Year Warranty, a more urgent warrantable item of concern could be raised. Please do not hesitate to contact the Warranty Team should this be the case.
We're here to help
Just Tell us How
Your Customer Experience Coordinator can provide any answers or connect you with the right person to address any questions - during regular business hours.