How to Buy a New Home
Buying a new home, whether it’s your first or your next, is an exciting moment in your life. It might be the biggest investment you ever make too, which is why personalizing each space is so important. At the Minto Design Centre, you have access to a variety of layouts, fixtures and finishes – along with a Design Consultant guiding you from purchase to move in and helping you create a home that’s uniquely yours.
To make your home buying journey even easier, many of our Executive Townhomes now include a Design Centre bonus!
Once you’ve made the first step and purchased a new home with Minto Communities, it’s time to let your personal style shine. To help you get started, we’ve taken our 60+ year’s experience of building new homes in Ottawa and identified the top 5 Design Centre requests for Executive Townhomes. Let’s get started!
1. Create a Kitchen That Wows
The kitchen is one of the most popular spaces in your home. So there’s no surprise it’s a major focal point for many homeowners during their Design Centre appointments. There’s a lot to consider, from lighting and layout to fixtures and flooring.
To offer move value, your new Executive Townhome includes quartz countertops in the kitchen, creating the foundation for an impressive space. To further enhance the design, a common upgrade at the Design Centre is swapping out the tile flooring for hardwood. This adds warmth and richness to your kitchen, while creating continuity between the flooring in the adjoined living room. Other popular elements to consider include:
- Cabinet fixtures
- Interior lighting
- Hood fans
- Backsplash tile
- Installing additional appliances like a microwave or a wine fridge
2. Opt for Hardwood Flooring
Many homeowners choose to upgrade their Executive Townhome with hardwood flooring. While hardwood is included on the main floor, excluding tiled areas like the kitchen and foyer, you have the option to upgrade to hardwood in other spaces, too. Oftentimes, homeowners will finish the entire main floor with their favourite type of hardwood, but some will upgrade from the carpeting on the second floor. The hallway is the most common area homeowners choose to opt for beautiful hardwood, with the primary bedroom being a close runner up.
Our premium, engineered hardwood flooring is a low-maintenance alternative to carpeting. It looks great, it’s easy to maintain, and it lasts for years. Plus, while resisting stains and wear and tear, it's another way to increase the value of your home!
3. Upgrade Your Railing Package
4. Fire it Up
5. Select an Optional Flex Plan
Other Design Centre considerations
- White stays in style – if your home is an investment property or you want to increase its resale value, limit dark or very colourful items.
- Our Executive Townhomes come standard with quartz countertops in the kitchens, but some homeowners choose to install them in the primary ensuite or guest bathroom.
- Design Centre selections are installed by our professional trade partners with some being protected under your new home warranty – speak to your Sales Representative or Design Centre Consultant to learn more.