Each year, residents need to be ready for the effects of a hurricane or other severe weather. Being prepared for emergencies can reduce the anxiety, fear and major inconvenience brought on by such a situation. We've each developed a Hurricane Plan for our personal home and family. We'd like to help you develop a plan that meets your individual needs for your new home.
Here are a few suggestions to get you started:
- Create a hurricane supply kit of emergency supplies. Include a hand-operated can opener, paper plates, disposable cups & utensils and trash bags.
- Store non-perishable food items (minimum 3-5 day supply).
- Store at least one gallon of water per person, per day for three to five days, preferably two weeks. Extra water is needed for preparing food and personal hygiene.
- Have a two week supply of any medication that you take regularly.
- Remember to provide for your pet's needs.
- Have a battery-operated radio with an extra supply of batteries.
- Have a flashlight with an extra set of batteries.
- Make a plan now for what to do if you and your pets need to evacuate.
- Post emergency telephone numbers by your phone and make sure your children know how and when to call 911.
- Check your insurance coverage - flood damage is not usually covered by homeowner's insurance.
- Fill up the fuel tanks of all vehicles and gas grills.
- Have cash on hand; ATMs do not always work after a storm.
Important Contact Information & Links:
- Broward County Emergency Management - (954) 831-3900
- Palm Beach County Emergency Management - (561) 712-6400
- St. Lucie County Division of Emergency Management - (772) 462-8100
- Hillsborough County Emergency Management - (813) 236-3800
- Manatee County Emergency Management - (941) 749-3500
- Orange County Office of Emergency Management - ( 407) 836-9140
- Lee County Emergency Management - (239) 533-0622
- Collier County Emergency Management - (239) 252-3600
- American Red Cross
- Federal Emergency Management Agency
- Florida Division of Emergency Management
- Volusia County Emergency Management - (386) 258-4088
- Beaufort County Sheriff's Office - Storm Center
- South Carolina Emergency Management