Each year, residents need to be ready for the effects of a hurricane or other severe weather. Being prepared for emergencies can reduce the anxiety, fear and major inconvenience brought on buy such a situation. We've each developed a Hurricane Plan for our home and family. We'd like to help you develop a plan that meets your individual needs for your new home.
Here are a few suggestions to get you started.
• Create a hurricane supply kit of emergency supplies. Include a hand-operated can opener, paper plates, disposable cups & utensils and trash bags.
• Store non-perishable food items (minimum 3-5 day supply).
• Store at least one gallon of water per person, per day for three to five days, preferably two weeks. Extra water is needed for preparing food and personal hygiene.
• Have a two week supply of any medication that you take regularly.
• Remember to provide for your pet's needs.
• Have a battery-operated radio with an extra supply of batteries.
• Have a flashlight with an extra set of batteries.
• Make a plan now for what to do if you and your pets need to evacuate.
• Post emergency telephone numbers by your phone and make sure your children know how and when to call 911.
• Check your insurance coverage - flood damage is not usually covered by homeowner's insurance.
• Fill up the fuel tanks of all vehicles and gas grills.
• Have cash on hand; ATMs do not always work after a storm.
Important Contact Information:
1. Broward County Emergency Management - (954) 831-3900
2. Palm Beach County Emergency Management - (561) 712-6400
3. St. Lucie County Division of Emergency Management - (772) 462-8100
4. Hillsborough County Emergency Management - (813) 236-3800
5. Manatee County Emergency Management - (941) 749-3500
6. Orange County Office of Emergency Management - ( 407) 836-9140
7. Lee County Emergency Management - (239) 533-0622
8. Collier County Emergency Management - (239) 252-3600
9. American Red Cross
10. Federal Emergency Management Agency
11. Florida Division of Emergency Management
12. Volusia County Emergency Management - (386) 258-4088
13. Beaufort County Emergency Management - (843) 255-4000
14. South Carolina Emergency Management