The best patios to visit in Ottawa this fall
With summer coming to an end and fall rearing its colourful head, now’s the time to get outside, soak up the last little bit of sun and breath in the crisp, cool air. With just a few weeks left of patio season in Ottawa, be sure to make the most of it at these hot spots while you can (and at a responsible social distance, of course).
The ByWard Market
Any Ottawa local knows the ByWard Market is the place to go for patios downtown. Whether you’re looking for a brewery or something a little fancier, these are must go-to’s this fall:
- Atari: with its beautiful rooftop patio and fun video-game style atmosphere, Atari’s classic and signature cocktails are not to be missed. Try the small bites menu too for the perfect accompaniment to any of their beverages. Located at 297 Dalhousie St.
- Social: in the pretty courtyard behind Sussex Drive, you’ll find a large patio lined with red umbrellas- you’ve happened upon Social! This cocktail lounge is the perfect date spot with its upscale menu and cozy environment. Located at 537 Sussex Drive.
- Oz Kafe: just next door to Social you’ll find a small and intimate patio that belongs to Oz Kafe. Their experienced and skilled bartenders, paired with a constantly changing and exciting menu, make Oz a place you won’t want to miss. The patio is newly covered, so you can dine rain or shine. Located at 10 York Street.
- Lowertown Brewery: casual and classic Canadian dining, Lowertown Brewery serves their own brewed-in-house beers. Try a sample flight and enjoy some small bites with good company from welcoming staff. Want to watch the game? Head upstairs to Sens House – Ottawa’s only retractable roof bar. Located at 73 York Street.
- Copper Spirits and Sights: located at the top of the iconic Andaz hotel, this rooftop patio with large space heaters is a perfect spot for date night. Enjoy a signature cocktail while sitting atop one of the highest points in Ottawa, with spectacular views of the Ottawa River into the Gatineau’s. Located at 325 Dalhousie Street.
Head a little west of downtown to the quaint and lively neighbourhood of Westboro, where you’ll find favourite mainstays and new restaurants popping up to satisfy every whim.
- Churchills: sit on the rooftop patio and enjoy delicious food and great views. A Westboro staple for years, the experienced staff is warm and welcoming. Located at 356 Richmond Road.
- Pure Kitchen: locals are obsessed with this vegetarian restaurant – and not just because the food is on point. The rooftop patio also offers a pretty oasis for catching up with friends over a cold-pressed juice or local craft beer. Located at 357 Richmond Road (with three other locations – with patios – across the city).
- Clocktower Brew Pub: another Ottawa staple that has amazing in-house brewed beers all year long. Clocktower’s Westboro location has a gorgeous patio that’s calling your name. This spot is open seven days a week and never disappoints. Located at 418 Richmond Road.
- Trio Wine Bar: snag a stool on this small patio perfect for people watching. Their knowledgeable sommelier and delicious charcuterie boards make this a great place to pop into on a weeknight. Located at 307D Richmond Road.
Lansdowne and the Glebe
Some of Ottawa’s biggest and best patios are located in the Glebe – one of the city’s most dynamic areas.
- Local Public Eatery: a great spot any time or day of the week. Enjoy brunch, lunch and dinner in the heart of Lansdowne and play a round of bocce ball to accompany your mimosas. Located at 107- 825 Exhibition Way.
- Banditos: a newer addition to the Glebe, Banditos serves up Mexican bites on their colourful Bank Street patio, complete with fun swings. Located at 683 Bank Street.
- Feleena’s: speaking of authentic Mexican fare, be sure to drop by Feleena’s patio. Another staple in the Glebe, this is where you’ll enjoy great service while catching up with friends. Located at 742 Bank Street.
- Orto Trattoria: a small but mighty Italian restaurant with a fine dining menu and signature cocktails, the small outdoor patio is the perfect place to cozy up on this fall. Located at 151-C Second Ave.
- Canal Ritz: watch boats, cyclists and paddleboarders take their last trips of the season on the Rideau Canal as you nibble on Italian favourites and enjoy a glass of rosé. A great spot for brunch, too. Located at 375 Queen Elizabeth Drive.
Elgin Street and Centretown
With construction finally subsiding in the Elgin and Centretown area, make sure to squeeze the last little bit out of patio season at any of these hotspots.
- La Terrasse: located on the rooftop of the beautiful Fairmont Chateau Laurier, take in stunning views in all directions and sip the most epic Caesar in Ottawa. Located at 1 Rideau Street.
- Lieutenants Pump: this classic bar has been around for decades and is still your friendly neighbourhood watering hole. With its large patio that features TV screens for your sports viewing pleasure, enjoy a mason-jar cocktail (or two) to keep you warm and toasty. Located at 361 Elgin Street.
- Prohibition Public House: with its delicious food, welcoming vibes and cute and cozy covered patio, enjoy an amazing meal on a date or with your friends. Choose from tons of selections for their iconic charcuterie board and a large menu of their prohibition-era themed cocktails. Located at 337 Somerset St. W.
- Arlo Wine and Restaurant: one of the newer spots on the scene, its large back patio is great for a glass of wine, a dozen oysters and BBQ on the terrace. This is a must-try on your patio list this fall. Located at 340 Somerset St. W.
As the days get shorter and the air gets a little chillier, resist the urge to stay indoors and get out and enjoy all that Ottawa has to offer. With the leaves doing their thing to turn views into colourful kaleidoscopes, now’s the time to throw on a warm sweater, grab a friend and head to a patio before the snow starts to fly. You’ll be glad you did.
Remember to always drink responsibly and ensure you’re following physical distancing guidelines.
Have a favourite patio in Ottawa you’d like to share? Let us know!