Sustainable Development: From One Community and One Home to the Next
For over 65-years, Minto Communities Ottawa has built a reputation as an innovative, forward-thinking developer. And with expanding cities and the growing challenges of climate change, our dedication to sustainable development has never been greater.
Our historic family-owned and operated values remain strong as a professionally managed business. With a presence in North America, including Ontario, Alberta, Florida and South Carolina, we understand how important efficiency and being environmentally conscious are to homeowners. Their concerns are our concerns, which is why sustainability is one of the core principles at Minto Communities.
For decades, we’ve seen firsthand the economic benefit of energy-efficient products, and while renewable building practices make sense as a developer, they also provide financial security to homeowners; not to mention, an aesthetically beautiful place to call home.
Innovation is something we're proud of
Early on, Minto Communities gave priority to sustainable development – in 1960, five years after the company’s inception, we sought out ways to move the industry forward by increasing material efficiency while decreasing waste. Since then, Minto’s innovation in eco-friendly construction hasn’t gone unnoticed.
● In 1992, the Innova House was one of nine homes selected nationwide to demonstrate new techniques in energy and water efficiency as well as waste reduction.
● Minto Communities built one of Canada’s first Net-Zero Energy Homes in 2008: Inspiration – the Minto EcoHome.
● From 2015–2016, Minto built and labelled five homes to the Canadian Home Builders’ Association Net-Zero Energy Home standards.
● Minto was awarded EnerQuality’s Ontario Green Builder of the Year in 2011, 2013, 2014, and 2015, along with being recognized as an Energy Star builder in 2016 and 2017.
● And the 2019 Minto Dream Home for CHEO, the Hampton, was built as a Net-Zero Energy Home.
Brookline, Kanata: where innovation inspires and wellness awaits
The community’s Single Family Homes and Townhomes come standard with energy-efficient materials and features, including smart-home monitoring through EnerCare’s Smarter Home technology. Using a single, intuitive app, homeowners have the ability to manage their thermostat and HVAC system with the touch of a button, while also tracking and measuring their home’s performance and energy consumption. Enercare’s Smarter Home technology is included in new Minto homes with a free Starter Package for the first three years to qualifying homeowners – package upgrades are also available.
Brookline is designed to help you live better. This includes:● Multi-use pathways to nearby amenities and greenspace, such as South March Highlands Conservation Forest – all of which are accessible without a vehicle;
● Seven acres of dedicated park space for a future park and parkette;
● A six-acre preserved woodlot featuring an 11-acre pond close by;
● And future bike lanes within the community and the surrounding neighborhoods.