Ready to apply?
We want to make the Ottawa rental process as easy as possible. In order to do so we will require some specific information. Please bring the following with you to the Resident Service Centre to complete your application.
Ready to Apply checklist
- Proof of Employment
- Landlord Reference
- Credit Check
- Crime Free Multi-Housing Program
- First and Last Month’s Rent
- Pre-Authorized Payment (PAP)/Post-Dated Cheques
Proof of Employment
To verify your employment we require ONE of the following:
- Your most recent pay stub
- A letter of offer on company letterhead
Please have the name and telephone number of your current landlord so we can call for a reference.
We will be doing a credit check. One piece of ID with your name and address are required. Providing your Social Insurance Number (SIN) will assist with this process but is not mandatory.
Crime Free Multi-Housing Program
In 1996 the Ottawa Police Service initiated the Crime Free Multi-Housing Program in an effort to reduce crime within the rental community. All applicants must complete a detailed comprehensive screening process. This can be done free of charge through the Minto office. Please provide two pieces of ID with your name and date of birth (one must be an approved photo ID such as your driver’s license or passport. Your Ontario Health Card is not accepted).
First and Last Month’s Rent
We require two cheques:
- One for payment of the last month’s rent, deposit dated the day the application is submitted
- And one for the first month’s rent, post-dated the first day of your lease
Please note that if your move-in date is within 15 days of renting the suite we will require a certified cheque or money order for payment of your last month’s rent.
Pre-Authorized Payment (PAP)/Post-Dated Cheques
There are three easy options to pay your monthly rent:
- Pay online through your financial institution
- Take advantage of our PAP program
- Pay with post-dated cheques
To take advantage of these easy methods of payment we require either a void cheque or 12 post-dated cheques with your application. This can be completed when you sign your lease.
We realize that not everyone is able to provide all the requested information. Please discuss any questions or concerns with one of our rental consultants.