Smart apps for everyday life
Ever feel like there aren’t enough hours in the day? With our lives getting busier and busier, it’s no wonder we rely so heavily on technology to get by – and our smartphones are no exception! Read on for a roundup of some great apps to assist you with everyday life. Whether it’s to help with budgeting or squeezing in that daily workout – there’s a little something in here for everyone.
Tackle those finances
Are you sometimes left scratching your head at the end of the month wondering where all your money went? Wonder no more with one of these handy budget-tracking apps!
Mint – According to Investopedia, this app from Intuit (the brains behind Quickbooks and TurboTax) is hands down the best when it comes to managing your money. Connect your online banking account, credit cards, monthly bills and all of your finances in one easy and convenient place. With Mint, you can track your expenses by category which gives you a pretty good picture of where your dollar bills are going. It will even alert you when you go over budget, and best of all… it’s free!
You Need a Budget (YNAB) – According to The Balance, this app takes a pretty unique approach to budgeting and is best for the type-A personalities out there. With YNAB, you can build your budget based on your income, giving every dollar in your budget a job – from living expenses to debt payments, to savings and investments. YNAB leaves no dollar left behind, forcing you to think about how you spend every dollar. Neat!
Honeydue – For something a little more collaborative, BOSS Magazine suggests Honeydue. This handy tool was built specifically with couples in mind and is incredibly useful when it comes to running a household. With this app, you can both add your bank account info and select what information you want to share with your other half. Users can check their balances, add bill reminders and see a breakdown of spending habits. Most importantly, it allows couples to work toward reaching their financial goals together. Let’s hear it for team work!
Get your sweat on
Let’s face it, not everyone has time to spend hours at the gym. But we all want to feel strong and fit, right? Whether it’s squeezing in a quick morning workout or keeping those calories in check – these apps will help you take charge of your health.
Couch to 5K - Have you ever wanted to run a 5K, but thought you’d never have the time, motivation or stamina pull it off? Marie-Claire puts this app at the top of their list when it comes to “lazy” workout apps to download to your smartphone screen. This easy and fun training plan for rookie runners will get you from couch potato to running a 5K race in only 30 minutes a day, 3 days a week for a total of 9 weeks. It almost sounds too good to be true!
Sweat – Not into the running thing? Try Sweat - a great all-in-one fitness app designed by Instagram celeb, Kayla Itsines. While not the cheapest app out there (about $20/month once the free trial runs up) – It’s certainly a popular one. Want to know if it’s worth the investment? POPSUGAR gives us the inside scoop.
My Fitness Pal – This is a great app for the days (or weeks) when you just don’t have a lot of time to work out, but you want to keep your food intake in check. Longevity puts My Fitness Pal, a convenient and free calorie counter, diet and exercise journal, at the top of their list.
For more ideas on how to get your fitness on at home, check out our post on 4 workouts you can do in a small space.
It's all about balance
If the everyday hustle has you feeling out of sorts, these great mindfulness apps will help bring a little balance and zen back into your life.
Headspace – Also known as “the gym membership for your brain.” Positive Routines calls Headspace one of the best meditation apps out there, and we agree! Learn to live mindfully with daily themed meditation sessions and reminders, or choose your own adventure with solo meditations when you really need it (like in those “SOS” or “I need to chill” moments).
Calm – Nominated by Apple as their 2017 “App of the Year”, Calm features 10 minute a day meditations, as well as 7 and 21 day programs for beginners. Other nifty features include adult bedtime stories to help you catch some zzz’s and nature sounds to help melt away stress. Sign us up!
Simple Habit – Business Insider is a fan of Simple Habit, calling it the “daily vacation for your mind”. While a little on the pricey side ($11.99 month or $96.99 for a premium subscription or $299.99 for unlimited), it features sessions led by a variety of different teachers including mindfulness coaches, former monks, yoga instructors, meditation trainers, psychologists, and more!
Odds and sods
For all of the other little things life throws at you, well, there’s an app for that too! Here are a few of our favourites that are worth the storage space.
• Citymapper – great for everyday commuting or when you’re trying to navigate through a big city.
• Waze – to help you get the best route every day with real-time help from other drivers. Get where you have to go, the fastest way possible.
• Sleep Cycle Alarm Clock – this is no ordinary alarm clock! This app closely analyzes your sleep and wakes you up during the lightest sleep phase, ensuring you wake up in a more natural way, feeling rested and ready to tackle the day.
• Realizd – think you’re spending too much time on your phone or iPad? This handy tool helps put it all into perspective by tracking your usage so you can keep screen time in check.
• Instacart – four words: same-day grocery delivery. Enough said!
• Apple Pay – no need to download this one if you’re an iPhone user. This handy app comes pre-built into your device and easy to set-up. Great if you don’t want to carry around a wallet (or for days when you forget it!)
• Uber Eats – for the nights you just don’t want to cook! Order food from your favourite local restaurants quickly and conveniently.
• Luminosity – known as the leader in the science of brain training, this app is a great way to keep your brain sharp through cognitive games.
• Stylicious – digitize your closet, plan your daily outfits and get inspired using this nifty style app.
• Wunderlust – keep yourself organized and get stuff done with this app that will help tick off all of those daily ‘to-dos’.
This is just the tip of the iceberg! For the most up-to-the-moment apps available to help keep your life in order, keep an eye on Lifewire to clear through the clutter.